Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
How to Talk About the Pulse Massacre
Things to keep in mind and lessons learned from Orlando:
- The Pulse massacre was a shooting in a popular gay nightclub on Latin night in the middle of Pride month. The victims were overwhelmingly Latinx, LGBTQ+ young people. We have to name the communities that were attacked and the animosity at the root of the shooter’s intent.
- Avoid the word “anniversary” and instead use words like “remembrance” when recognizing the occasion of the Pulse massacre.
- Use the word “taken” or “killed,” not lost (in reference to the 49 victims)
- Avoid using the name of the shooter
- Emphasize action that will address hate violence and give voice to the intersections of race, gender, and sexuality
“Honor Them with Action” is a reminder and a pledge to uproot hatred and bigotry of all kinds and make the world different, better and more equal for all of us.