**More resources to follow in the coming days**
Helpful Resource Links:
Things to keep in mind and lessons learned from Orlando:
– The Pulse massacre was a shooting in a popular gay nightclub on Latin night in the middle of pride month. The victims were overwhelmingly LatinX, LGBTQ young people. We have to name the communities that were attacked and the animosity at the root of the shooter’s intent
-Avoid the word anniversary when recognizing the one year mark since the Pulse massacre.
-Use the word “taken” or “killed,” not lost (in reference to the 49 victims)
-Avoid using the name of the shooter
-Emphasize action that will address hate violence and give voice to the intersections of race, gender, and sexuality
How You Can Take Action:
- Plan a partner event, memorial, or vigil
- Challenge leaders of different faiths to speak out against anti-LGBTQ violence.
- Talk to your school superintendent about anti-bullying programs in the schools.
- Host an LGBTQ-inclusive community dialogue on the dramatic spike in hate violence.
- Encourage individuals to share their actions large and mall that make a difference via social media with the #HonorThemWithAction tag. Ex) “I finally came out to my Aunt. #HonorThemWithAction”; “I asked my company to adopt a nondiscrimination policy. #HonorThemWithAction”; “I volunteered with to a group that works to end school bullying. #HonorThemWithAction”
Pulse Partners – Social Media:
Use the hashtag #HonorThemWithAction for 49 consecutive days to share organization or individual stories to raise awareness about the work you are doing to uproot anti-LGBTQ bias and bigotry.
Sample Facebook Posts:
As the one year mark of the Pulse massacre approaches, we are asking you to join us once again to #HonorThemWithAction. SIGN THE PLEDGE today and find out ways you can help end anti-LGBTQ bias and bigotry in your community: https://honorthemwithaction.org/individuals/
Partner organizations across the country are planning memorial events in June to acknowledge the one year mark of the Pulse massacre and honor the victims – who were overwhelmingly Latinx, LGBTQ young people – affected by this tragedy. FIND AN EVENT to attend in your area and help us #HonorThemWithAction: https://honorthemwithaction.org/events/
For the next 49 days (until the end of Pride Month), we’ll be using the hashtag #HonorThemWithAction once a day and we want YOU to join us! Use #HonorThemWithAction to raise awareness about the work you are doing to uproot anti-LGBTQ bias and bigotry in your community. SHARE and find out more about this national campaign here: https://honorthemwithaction.org/toolkit
Text “HONOR” to 99000 today to join our national #HonorThemWithAction campaign and find out how you can help commemorate the one year mark of the Pulse massacre.
What are you doing to help end anti-LGBTQ bigotry in your community? Did you ask your company to adopt a LGBTQ nondiscrimination policy? Did you volunteer with a group that works to end school bully? Whatever the action, large or small, use #HonorThemWithAction to share your stories with us.
Use #HonorThemWithAction for the next 49 days & share your commitment to end anti-#LGBTQ bigotry in your community: https://honorthemwithaction.org/toolkit
Find a Pulse Memorial Event or Solidarity March in your area & help us #HonorThemWithAction: https://honorthemwithaction.org/events/
Text ‘HONOR’ to 99000 to join our #HonorThemWithAction campaign & find out how you can commemorate the 1 year mark of the #Pulse massacre.
What are you doing to help end anti-#LGBTQ bigotry in your community? Use #HonorThemWithAction to share your stories with us!
SIGN: Join our #HonorThemWithAction campaign & find out how you can help honor the victims of the #Pulse massacre: https://honorthemwithaction.org/individuals/
Usa #HonorThemWithAction los próximos 49 días para comprometerte a trabajar hacia una sociedad sin odio anti-LGBTQ: https://honorthemwithaction.org/individuals/
Encuentra un evento memorial de Pulse o una marcha de solidaridad en tu comunidad #HonorThemWithAction https://honorthemwithaction.org/events/